A medical worker at a hospital in the city of Mandaluyong checks for COVID admissions.…
Health workers at several facilities in Gqeberha who have been on unprotected strike for several weeks are due to return to work on Thursday.
The Eastern Cape Health Department said it followed talks with unions over staffing issues that led them to go on strike, crippling services at clinics in Motherwell and elsewhere.
Health MEC, Nomakosazana Meth, said she was happy that they were able to “reunite” and that communities could access “crucial services that had been interrupted for the past two weeks”.
She said the unions had pledged that services would be restored from Thursday, while she would pledge to management not to implement the no work, no pay rule against employees while they were on strike.
Meanwhile, the Department of Health said eight nursing posts at Motherwell Community Health Center will also be filled on Thursday, while the appointment of 20 general workers is also fast-tracked.
On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health obtained a temporary ban against striking employees, with a return date of June 8.